Blueberries, apples, and scones oh my! Delightfully delicious scones on top of berries and apples make for a scrumptious dessert. Apple Blueberry Scone topped Cobbler is a real comfort food in my book!
I used fresh blueberries, but frozen will work just fine, too. Cut the apples very thin mix with sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and a little bit of cinnamon. The scones are so easy to mix up, then just roll them into an 8″ disk, cut into eight equal pieces and place on top of fruit. Sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar, and it’s ready to put in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until fruit is nice and bubbly and the scones are lightly browned! If the scones are getting too brown place a piece of aluminum foil on top of it for the remaining cooking time.
Yummy scone topping!
Apple Blueberry Scone Topped Cobbler…sometimes pictures speak louder than words, and this is the case with this delicious cobbler. You just can’t beat the yumminess of fresh fruit topped off with a light, fluffy scone!
Just add ice cream!
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 medium apples; peeled and sliced very thin
- 1/2 lemon; juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter; cut into pieces
- 1/2 -3/4 cup whipping cream
- Cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on the top
- Ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the fruit in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch and mix well.
- Pour into 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- With a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture (it will resemble course crumbs--do not over work).
- Add 1/2 cup cream and stir until dough is moist.
- Add additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Gently bring dough into a ball.
- Put dough on a lightly floured board and knee a few times.
- Gently roll the dough to 1/2 in thickness. *see notes
- Place the scone dough on top of fruit and bake for about 45 minutes.
- I you feel as though the dough is getting too brown, gently place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of of during the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Serve warm or cool and with ice cream or whipped if you wish!
- *I use a round 2 quart baking pan, so I roll my sones into an 8" round disk shape and cut into 8 equal triangles. If you are using a square or rectangular pan You may want to roll the dough into a square and cut into 2-3" squares.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out:
Tropical Delight Cake
Leave a Reply