Chocolatey, moist and crunchy!
Chocolate Chip Date Cake is so yummy and moist and has just the right amount of chocolatey goodness! Your family will love it! Crunchy pecans that toast during the baking process along with barely melted chocolate chips make this cake extra delish! You’ll love the ease of putting this made from scratch cake together. The ingredients are easily kept on hand, and I frequently make it when I’m short on time. If you’re feeding a large crowd, don’t panic because making two of these don’t take much more effort than mixing up one.
My kids frequently request this when they come home to visit. No worries if you have a date hater in your crowd because they just make this cake moist and delicious, but you’ll seriously never even notice they’re there! Honestly, I love this cake because it feeds a crowd and no one will leave the table without satisfying their sweet tooth!
I discovered this recipe in a cookbook from a fundraiser where the members of the club compiled the book using their favorite recipes. Over the years their favorite recipes became mine, too. The cookbook was published in 1980 way before the fun and ease of Pinterest! In my opinion, there’s nothing quite like a much loved old cookbook that’s well worn, has spills on nearly every page and handwritten notes near favorite recipes. I have to admit there were a few disasters as I tried out the simple recipes in that book but as I persevered cooking became my passion!
Chocolate Chip Date Cake is a family favorite!
My daughter LOVES this cake and has a particular passion for the yummy gooey, delicious piece right in the center. Our family quickly learned that it was wise (and much safer) to make sure she got that piece! Don’t fret though, and the entire cake is full of homemade goodness! Chocolate Chip Date Cake has been at our family table many, many times over the years. There have been plenty of requests for the recipe and even more requests for seconds!
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chopped dates in a small bowl and sprinkle with baking soda and pour on hot water.
- Set date mixture aside to cool.
- Using your mixer cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix about 30 seconds.
- Add cooled date mixture.
- Combine flour, salt and cocoa and gently mix in.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Sprinkle pecans and remaining chocolate chips over the cake.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.