I love, LOVE, LOVE summer!
When the weather turns warm, it’s great to be able to create something crisp, refreshing and colorful for lunch or dinner. I love to work outside in my garden and spend time with my pets with the warmth of the summer sun shining down on me and then sit down to an easy and healthy salad. We enjoy preparing and eating simple meals in our outdoor kitchen all summer long. Healthy Crunchy Summer Salad is a real treat to the senses with plenty of taste and loads of color.
All you need is a little thyme…
A hint of thyme in the orange vinaigrette adds a bit of a different twist to the salad. After I’ve zested an orange, I like to section it and add it to the mixture. If you prefer, you may use canned mandarin oranges or slices of those deliciously sweet and easy to peel cuties. I love to make this because it tastes great no matter how you put it together! I use diced grilled chicken that I’ve prepared, but it’s also tasty with diced or shredded rotisserie chicken from the store. By adding a little quinoa, you get that great texture, and it also makes the salad more filling.
Crunchy toasted slivered almonds, apricots and cranberries add flavor and texture. I love to use baby kale, arugula, and spinach but it tastes great with your choice of salad greens. I love the versatility of making salads and am known to add a little or take away a little depending on what I have on hand. Mix together orange juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and spices, pour over Crunchy summer Salad and you’re all set to enjoy summer!
Recipe for Crunchy Summer Salad
- 1 1/2 cups grilled chicken; diced
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup quinoa; cooked
- 1 orange; sectioned
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots; chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 orange; zested then juiced
- olive oil: measure the orange juice and add an equal amount of oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Divide the salad greens in two bowls, using half of each ingredient arrange the diced chicken, quinoa, dried cranberries, apricot chunks and toasted almonds over the top of them. Then shake the ingredients for the vinaigrette together in a container with a tightly fitting lid or whisk them together in a small bowl and serve with salad.
- Ingredients can easily be doubled or tripled or more if you need feed more people!
Leave a Reply