It’s safe to say I am in love with Rustic Ratatouille! I confess I make this hearty, absolutely fantastic meal just about every week and if it gets left off of the menu I find myself craving it! There’s just something about the rustic taste and texture of this that I simply can’t get enough of.
Oodles of fresh, healthy ingredients!
Use a small to medium eggplant because the peel is tender enough so that you can leave it on. Just give everything a rough chop because it adds to the homemade look and feel to this rustic dish. In addition to the eggplant, I toss in plenty of ripe tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, basil and fresh minced garlic. So, so yummy, filling and healthy.
It’s so fresh and flavorful!
If you have a garden with plenty of tomatoes and zucchini, this is an excellent way to use them! Making this year isn’t a problem though because it’s made from easily acquired ingredients. You can serve it over any pasta, but there’s just something about the rustic taste and texture of whole wheat pasta that completes this dish.
Rustic Ratatouille is full of veggies!
Sprinkle some shaved parmesan cheese over the top and a few fresh basil ribbons. Trust me this is oh so good!
Just can’t get enough of this!
- 1 small-medium eggplant; cut into 1/2-3/4 inch chunks
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes; diced
- 1 medium zucchini; dice into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper; diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil; shredded
- 1/4 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb. whole wheat pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium/low heat.
- Add onions and minced garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the remaining olive oil and turn the heat up to medium.
- Add the eggplant and cook for about 8 minutes or until it's softened.
- Stir in the zucchini and bell pepper and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, Kosher salt, pepper and fennel seeds.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer an additional two minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in basil and combine the mixture well.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta.
- Sprinkle with shaved parmesan and basil.