Easy and authentic Traditional Spanish Rice is the perfect accompaniment to tacos, grilled meats, fajitas or just about any dish with a Mexican flare. A great way to enjoy Spanish Rice is with Muy Borracho Beans. Basic and straightforward food with tons of flavor, it doesn’t get any better! Or add some cooked chicken to your rice, and you have a flavorful and filling main dish. I love the versatility of rice dishes. This is so easy to make and you use simple ingredients that you probably have on hand to create a yummy side dish for your fiesta!
Make sure to brown your rice along with the onion and bell pepper in a little olive oil before adding the tomato juice and water. This gives it a bit of a nutty flavor and is worth the effort! Don’t forget to stir it often during this step because the rice burns quickly. Beleive me, I learned this the hard way the first time I made Spanish Rice! A touch of celery salt and garlic powder add subtle hints of deliciousness to this tasty side dish. Quickly add the tomato juice and hot water and reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer about 20 minutes. Easy peasy! I like to let it sit on the stove for five to ten minutes after it’s tender and the water is absorbed, then fluff it with a fork.
You’ll love it!
I like to add some cooked ground beef to any leftovers and stuff bell peppers with them. Top them off with some shredded cheddar cheese, and you have a delish meal in minutes! Hmmm, maybe I’ll do a blog post on that, too!
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 11.5 oz can tomato juice ( I usd Spicy V 8)
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/4 yellow or white onion; diced
- 1/2 large bell pepper; diced
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or skillet (with a lid)
- Add rice, onion and bell pepper and brown stirring often (it will brown quickly, so I watch it carefully throughout the browning process)
- Reduce heat and add water, tomato juice, diced tomato, garlic powder, celery salt and salt.
- Cover and let simmer over low heat about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Let it sit uncovered for about 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Spanish Rice tastes great with these yummy recipes, too!