Halloween can make even the friendliest of foods creepy! Such is the case with these chocolatey, scary and easy Spooky Rice Krispie Treat Coffins! Who doesn’t love Rice Krispie Treats? Top them with chocolate and what’s not to love? Halloween treats are supposed to be fun, and it’s always nice to have a spooky treat around for snacking and parties!
Just waiting for Dracula to arrive!
My cousin came for a visit just in time to create this fun Halloween goodie, and we had a blast coming up with these Spooky Rice Krispie Treats. They say two heads are better than one, but no one ever said that about my cousin and I! We over thought what should be an easy treat, but we had the best time ever at the Dollar Store. You know, the one where everything is just a dollar? We bought a creepy styrofoam tombstone, what was labeled as “creepy cloth” and yes, it’s very creepy, those fun Halloween rings, spooky cobwebs….well, it’s safe to say we over thought and over bought!
Can you believe we even over thought the cutting of our tiny coffins? My cousin who is a math whiz used some math I don’t even understand to figure out the dimensions of those little things! In reality, we ended up cutting them into 20 almost equal squares, trimming them to look like creepy vampire coffins and sitting down to relax and enjoy our cute little treats! It’s a fact, Rice Krispie treats aren’t complicated, and you don’t need a coffin shaped pattern or geometry, calculus or any great math skills to create them! More importantly, though, we had a terrific time with lots of giggles and fun, and we came up with a yummy treat in the process! That’s what Halloween is about, right?
Cute, cute, cute!
I added an extra cup of Rice Krispies to the recipe because I wanted to make sure the “coffins” would be firm enough to handle. They still taste delicious, and they are so easy to make! With all of the costumes, trick or treating, pumpkin carving and parties it’s nice to have an uncomplicated treat that goes together hassle free. My grandkids tested them for us and gave them a thumbs up!
Spooky and delish!
- 7 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 10 oz package marshmallows
- cooking spray
- 1 10 oz package candy melts ( I used Wilton's milk chocolate)
- Halloween rings; optional
- In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.*see notes below for microwave method
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal; stirring until well coated.
- Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Press mixture evenly into pan. I like to lightly spray a piece of waxed paper with cooking spray and press the mixture gently into the pan.
- Melt the chocolates according to the package instructions.
- Spread over the Rice Krispie treats.
- Allow to the chocolate to cool and harden.
- I cut the treats in four equal (or almost equal--they're spooky treats after all, so no need for perfection!) rows lengthwise and five equal rows across.
- Simply trim the "coffins" into shape and make a slit in them to insert a Halloween ring if desired!
- *In a large microwave safe bowl add the butter and marshmallows. I pop mine in the microwave and cook on high for a couple of minutes, stir and place back in at 30 second intervals until the butter is mostly melted and the marshmallows are melted.
For more creepy fun and treats check out: